At Sisense backend engineers work on a variety of things - from making services more stable and fast to optimizing the billions of rows flowing through our data pipelines.
Sisense’s mission is to infuse analytics everywhere. We bring “power to the builders” by enabling our customers to answer complex questions with data and drive the best business outcomes possible.
We're constantly making SQL faster and analytics more powerful. You'll be working on server-side technologies: from Go and Java microservices to automation that manages giant database clusters
How You'll Ramp:
By Day 30:
- You will learn about the Sisense for Cloud Data Teams product
- You will build relationships with people in the R&D and Product House
- You will be able to work with development and cloud environments
- You will be able to contribute code into the product, platform services, internal tools, or build processes
By Day 60:
- You will deepen your knowledge in product architecture and infrastructure
- You will be able to debug various components of the product
- You will learn more soft skills, understand customer needs and build up working relationships with customer success managers and other teams to manage challenging situations.
- You’ll be contributing to the technical vision and priorities for your team’s future development, finding ways to improve team velocity, and improving architecture.
By Day 90:
- Will be actively learning and expanding your knowledge based on our ecosystem and solutions
- You will have completed a deep dive into Sisense’s product and technical infrastructure
- You will be able to contribute to any part of the responsibility area and solve complex customer issues
- You will have a deep understanding of the development processes and integration
What You've Accomplished So Far:
- You write clean code.
- You have built distributed systems using Golang, you can read, write and understand code.
- You have worked with or at least can troubleshoot Java code
- You have experience with a variety of databases such as Postgres, Redshift, Snowflake, Aurora, RDS, etc.
- You have a good understanding of event-driven architecture, message buses such as RabbitMQ, Kafka
- You know how to scale systems as well as identify and resolve performance bottlenecks
- You are outcome-focused and proactive. You have solved complex technical challenges to improve customer happiness, developer productivity, and system efficiency.
- You enjoy working in an inclusive, collaborative environment and mentoring team members when needed. You believe in achieving collective impact and that we are “better together”.
- You have customer empathy and are curious about how your work is going to impact a customer’s use case.
- You're excited to pitch in wherever the team needs help, from investigating issues, debugging together to supporting customers.
- You have successfully evangelized and driven best practices related to code quality and testability across teams.
Recent Engineering Projects:
- Auto-ETLing entire customer databases into our data cache while targeting < 1hr freshness on all customer data
- Implementing cross-database query translation and cross-database joins
- Handling permissions for millions of objects using a granular role-based permissions system while providing extremely fast response times
- Improving chart render speed by over 100X by reimplementing on top of Canvas instead of SVG
Why You Should Join Our Team
- We live our values. We care about each other, the technology we create, and the customers we support. We know we’re constantly learning and improving, and look forward to sharing insights and techniques with each other.
- We have interesting customers. We support the Red Cross with dashboards about supplies, help a suicide prevention hotline with SQL+Python ML analysis, and enable Tinder to make better matches.
- We are our own customer. We’re heavy users of the features we build and have an intuitive understanding of what makes data teams so special and successful.
- “You have unlimited questions remaining” is core to our team’s philosophy. We are excited about learning and sharing together, and work hard to make sure that everyone is set up for success.
- We’re a passionate, venture-funded team with more than 2000 customers, including Nasdaq, GE Healthcare, Honda, Verizon, and Philips
- We believe strongly in a data-driven approach to all that we do. We’re constantly measuring and optimizing everything about the business.
- We have close relationships with our customers.
- We have super high customer retention — better than best in class SaaS companies.
- We’ve been recognized by Comparably, Glassdoor, and Best Places to Work for our amazing company culture.
- We’re all working remotely now and using our stipends for setting up a working place at home. However, a new office with a superior view is waiting for us when life gets back to normal.
- We hire only people we trust. All Sisensers join the company without a probation period.
- We believe all Sisensers should be owners in our company’s success. We grant all employees stock options that start vesting on Day One.
- We support a work-life balance philosophy and provide unlimited vacations (flexible time off) to all Sisensers.
- We support professional growth with personal learning budget (for on-line courses, language programs, books etc.), as well as corporate trainings, professional certifications and so on.
- We care about each other. All team members have extended medical insurance package and additional COVID-19 coverage.
- We provide Sisensers with a sport reimbursement to support physical fitness and mental wellbeing.
If you learn quickly and have that get-stuff-done attitude, we'd love to talk to you!