Predictive Trend Line
The Forecasting add-on displays linear, exponential, and logarithmic trend lines in your dashboard charts.
The trend line allows an end user to predict future values/metrics based on historical data. See the referenced wiki page on the regression analysis for more information.
To install the Forecasting add-on:
- Download the attachment.
- Extract the .zip folder into the plugins folder. If the folder does not exist, create it prior to extracting the .zip file.
For V7.1 and earlier: C:\Program Files\Sisense\PrismWeb\plugins
For V7.2 and later: C:\Program Files\Sisense\app\plugins
- Create a chart. In your dashboard, click New Widget and select Advanced Configuration.
- Select the Column Chart from the chart types menu. Pick a datetime dimension for the CATEGORIES, and one or more measures under VALUES. The most common scenario is to add the same measure twice so that you can see the historical data as one series and then turn the second series into a trend line.
- On the second measure, select the Settings menu to display the Regression option. This menu is set to None by default, but you can select a prediction method to use against the data series.
- Define the time frame. The default view will predict future values based on the calendar year (see below). If you want to change this, click on the Settings menu for the widget (top right corner of the screen).
- The following options are available:
None – Show the trend for historical time periods only
Calendar End – This option will depend on your date dimension’s level of aggregation
Years – When viewing data at a yearly level, the next 5 years will be predicted out
Quarters – When viewing data at a quarterly level, the add-on will predict through Q4 of the calendar year
Months – When viewing data at a monthly level, the add-on will predict through Dec of the calendar year
Days – When viewing data at a daily level, the add-on will predict through the last day of the month
Next 3 – This option will predict out the next 3 time periods
Next 6 – This option will predict out the next 6 time periods
Next 12 – This option will predict out the next 12 time periods
Multiple regression lines on the same widget are supported.
Only one dimension on the x-axis (no hierarchies) is supported.
If your regression line is not smooth, it may be because there are gaps in the dates of your data. You can resolve this by turning on the Continuous Timeline option of the date dimension.
If you set a value in the widget, you should not toggle the value off. If you want to disable it, just delete it or set the regression to None and then toggle it off.
This is a free add-on, click
to get it now.